You’re moving at a hundred miles a minute, yet you’re getting nowhere… Pretty much like a hamster on a wheel? But you’re so busy, productivity is your jam.
Multitasking! It’s the curse of being busy without being productive!
We fool ourselves into thinking that we must be getting things done because we are so busy all the time. But in reality, we are hindering our own productiveness by forcing ourselves to switch between multiple tasks at a time.
We never allow ourselves to focus on one task at a time.
It takes skill to immerse yourself in a task from start to finish. Not just the tasks that you enjoy, but all tasks.
The constant need to quickly check an email or reply instantly to a text or direct message is a real struggle for most people. It’s the reason we find ourselves working late at night, on weekends or when we promised ourselves that today I’ll stop working before 6.
I know people who battle to wait the 10 seconds it takes for an internet page to load.
10 seconds! What could you possibly accomplish in 10 seconds other than completely distracting yourself?
A recent study conducted by Dr. Gloria Mark for a Ted Talk has shown the following shocking data;
People check their emails approximately 74 times a day and switch between tasks 566 times a day.
I think that is an absurd amount of times to break your focus. Don’t you?
Another study by Dr. Daniel Levitin shows that:
“Every time you shift your attention from one thing to another, the brain has to engage a neurochemical switch that uses up nutrients in the brain to accomplish that. So if you’re attempting to multitask, you know, doing four or five things at once, you’re not actually doing four or five things at once, because the brain doesn’t work that way. Instead, you’re rapidly shifting from one thing to the next, depleting neural resources as you go.”
My top tips on breaking multitasking habits and becoming more productive are to divide and conquer.
- Divide up your days!
- Plan your day the night before!
- Stick to your schedule as much as possible! We know life happens but try.
- Keep track of how long tasks take you. Not just those you bill. All of them!
- Identify your single most important task for the day and do that first!
- Do not open #AllTheTabs if you do not need them open!
- Close Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter. If the app is not required for the task you need to focus on, it doesn’t need to be open!
- Turn off notifications! Choose when you want to look at emails, texts, answer calls, etc.
- At the end of the week, review your biggest time waster and cut down as much as possible.
Multitasking is inefficient and it will only limit your productivity!
Do not allow the technology designed to help you dictate how you spend your time.
Join our FREE Membership site for new & aspiring Virtual Assistants.